Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Corn Stew
- 1 cup black beans Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -
- 5-7 cm Kombu seaweed soaked in water for 10 mins. Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha +
- 3 Tbs. sunflower oil Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha 0
- 1 medium onion sliced (Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -)
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds Vata - - Pitta - Kapha -
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds Vata - Pitta + Kapha -
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -
- 3 corncobs steamed until ready (Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -)
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed (Vata - - Pitta - Kapha +)
- 1/2 butternut squash cubed (Vata - Pitta - Kapha 0)
- 1/4 cup dill chopped (Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha -)
- 1/4 cup coriander chopped (Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -)
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped (Vata 0 Pitta 0 Kapha - -)
- 1 tsp. rock salt Vata - Pitta - Kapha 0
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Strain and wash.
- Chop the Kombu seaweed.
- Put the beans in a cooking pot, cover with water, add the seaweed and bring to boil.
- Clean the foam, lower the flame to minimum and cook partially covered until soft for 1.5 hours.
- Add more water to cover the beans, if needed.
- If using a pressure cooker, cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the kernels off the corncobs.
- In a skillet, fry in oil the whole spices, for 2 minutes, until browned.
- Add the onion and fry until browned for about 7 minutes.
- Add the corn, sweet potato and butternut squash and mix.
- Add the cooked beans with the remaining cooking fluids and cook for another 25 minutes. Towards the end of cooking, add the salt.
- Close the flame and add the chopped greens.