Chicken Pilaf with Brown Rice and Turmeric
- 4 chicken thighs Vata - Pitta ++ Kapha +
- 4 chicken legs Vata - Pitta ++ Kapha +
- 1 tsp. sesame oil Vata - - Pitta ++ Kapha 0
- 2 onions roughly chopped (Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -)
- 4 carrots sliced (Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -)
- 2 Tbs. turmeric Vata + Pitta - Kapha - -
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom ground (Vata - Pitta - Kapha -)
- 1/2 tsp. bay leaves ground (Vata 0 Pitta 0 Kapha - -)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -
- 1 tsp. salt Vata - - Pitta 0 Kapha +
- 1 sprig curry leaves Vata + Pitta - Kapha - -
- 2 cups brown round rice Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha 0
- 1/2 bunch dill chopped (Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha -)
- Pat the chicken parts dry with paper towels.
- Spread 1 tsp. of sesame oil in a wide cooking pot.
- On a medium flame, sear the chicken parts for about 5 minutes, on both sides until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add to the pot the chopped onions and fry.
- Add the carrots, stir and fry for 2 minutes and then add the spices.
- Add the chicken and mix.
- Pour water until the chicken is covered and add the rice and dill.
- Bring to boil and lower the flame.
- Cook while covered for 2 hours.