As with meat and other animal products, the manner in which the chicken is fed, grown and treated has both physiological and psychological effects on the consumer.
Commercially raised chicken are at present thoroughly contaminated with artificial growth hormone and feed chemicals.
As in red meat, the different chicken body parts are known to enhance the function of the corresponding human body part of the consumer (i.e chicken liver will strengthen the human live etc.).
Chicken soup, maybe the most widespread and well-known home remedy, is indeed a very good way to enjoy the strengthening qualities of chicken, without burdening the digestion.
Taste: Sweet, Astringent
Natural Attributes: light, oily (less than beef)
Tissue impact (Vipak): Sweet, nourishing
Thermal impact (Virya): heating
Dosha impact: Decrease Vata, increases Pitta and Kapha
Digestive impact (Agni): relative to meats, chicken is easy to digest. In itself, it is heavy for digestion.
Channels (Srotas): opens the channels
Feces: Increases volume
Urine: treats frequent urination (as in diabetes)
Strength (Bala): highly increases strength
Mind (Manas): increases Rajas
Chinese five element impact: Earth
Chinese medicine syndromes: warms Kidney and Spleen yang ; strengthens qi and blood, increases the Jing essence
- Nourishment (rasa): emaciation, weakness, eye vision, treats anorexia and loss of appetite, gives strength after childbirth and promotes lactation, diabetes
- Blood-circulation-liver: edema, vaginal bleeding
- Muscles: tonifies muscles
- Bones-joints-tendon-ligaments: strengthens bone marrow
- Reproductive and hormonal systems: sexual potency, increases semen, vaginal discharge
- Digestive system: diarrhea
Harmful: excess heat, sluggishness and lethargy of excess reasons, overworked kidneys, impatience, aggressiveness and short-sightedness.