Classic Root Vegetable Soup with Crème Fresh
- 5 Tbs. olive oil Vata - - Pitta + Kapha +
- 2 large onions Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -
- 4 cloves garlic Vata - - Pitta ++ Kapha 0
- 2 parsley root Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 1 celery root Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 1 large slice pumpkin Vata - Pitta - Kapha -
- 1 large butternut squash Vata - Pitta - Kapha 0
- 4 carrots Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 1 large sweet potato Vata - - Pitta - Kapha +
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -
- 2-3 cm ginger root grated (Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -)
- Salt to taste Vata - - Pitta 0 Kapha +
- Water to cover
For Bouquet Garni:
- 5 sprigs thyme Vata 0 Pitta + Kapha - -
- 3 bay leaves Vata 0 Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 1 cinnamon stick Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -
- 8 cardamom pods Vata - Pitta - Kapha -
- In a large cooking pot, fry the onions and garlic in olive oil, until slightly golden.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, all of them roughly cut, and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the black pepper, salt and grated ginger.
- Cover with water and bring to boil.
- Add to the pot the spices of the Bouquet Garni in a muslin bag.
- Put on the smallest flame, cover and cook for about 40 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Close the flame.
- Take the spice bag out and puree the soup with a stick blender.
- Season with white pepper and salt to taste and add 3 heaping Tbs. of crème fresh.
- Mix well.
For kapha: Omit the crème fresh.