A member of the cabbage family, kohlrabi aggravates vata due to its dryness. To avoid this, Vata should consume kohlrabi cooked, oiled and well spiced.
Taste: sweet, bitter
Natural Attributes: dry
Tissue impact (Vipak): reducing
Thermal impact (Virya): cool
Dosha impact: Increases Vata, decreases Pitta and Kapha
Digestive impact (Agni): hard to digest
Channels (Srotas): opens
Strength (Bala): clears congestionand obstruction
Mind (Manas): Sattvic
Effect: goitrogenic, cancer preventative.
Chinese five element impact: Wood
Chinese medicine syndromes: improves qi circulation, eliminates blood stagnancies ; reduces damp conditions of the body
- Nourishment (rasa): diabetes, losing weight
- Blood-circulation-liver: blood-sugar imbalances, hypoglycemia, nosebleed (juice)
- Reproductive and hormonal systems: reduces swelling of the scrotum
- Kidney-Bladder: painful or difficult urination
- Respiratory system: sinusitis
- Digestive system: stops bleeding in the colon
- Cleansing: alleviates effects of drugs and alcohol
Harmful for: hypothyroidism, flatulence.