Nishime - Macrobiotic Vegetable Dish
Choose 5-6 from the variety of vegetables:
- Onion, garlic, carrot, pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini, leek, fennel.
- Pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato, fennel, green peas, Jerusalem artichoke.
- Carrot, turnip, radish, small radish, celery root, parsley root, beetroot, kohlrabi, cabbage.
- Cut the vegetables into large cubes.
- Kombu seaweed, soaked in 1/2 cup of water, cut to strips, with the soaking water
- A little rock salt
- Put the Kombu seaweed at the bottom of a wide and heavy skillet, with the soaking water.
- Place on top the cut ingredients and a little rock salt.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- After boiling, lower to the minimal flame possible and simmer for 20-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- No need to mix the vegetables. In this manner, the vegetables at the bottom are cooked and the ones on top are steamed.
For Vata: Add to the cooking a fine quantity of cold pressed sesame oil
and soy sauce to taste.