Polenta with Butter & Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup polenta Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha 0
- 2 cups water Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha +
- 1 flat tsp. salt Vata - - Pitta 0 Kapha +
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated (Vata - Pitta + Kapha ++)
- 50 gr. butter at room temperature and cubed (Vata - Pitta - - Kapha ++)
- 1 onion chopped (Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -)
- 1 clove garlic Vata - - Pitta ++ Kapha 0
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds Vata - Pitta + Kapha -
- Handful of basil leaves chopped (Vata - Pitta + Kapha - -)
- Melt the butter in a skillet on a medium flame and fry until golden the cumin seeds, onion and garlic. Add the chopped basil and close the flame.
- In a saucepan bring the water to boil and add the salt.
- In a thin and constant stream, add the polenta to the boiling water while whisking with a beater or a wooden spoon to avoid lumps.
- Continue stirring until the polenta thickens.
- Turn off the flame, add parmesan and mix.
- Serve immediately in a bowl or plate with the fried onion mixture and grated parmesan on top.
For Vata: serve like mashed potatoes with roasted chicken or beef, chicken liver with fried onion or meat ragout.
For Pitta: omit the garlic and replace the basil with coriander and the cumin with coriander seeds.
For kapha: replace the butter with a little olive oil, omit the parmesan and add to the spices hyssop or chili.