Quinoa, Beetroot, Apple & Celery Salad
- 1 large beetroot Vata 0 Pitta + Kapha - -
- 1 cup quinoa Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -
- 1 3/4 cups water Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha +
- 1 green apple thinly sliced (Vata + Pitta - - Kapha -)
- 3 stalks celery thinly sliced (Vata - Pitta - - Kapha -)
- Handful of celery leaves chopped (Vata - Pitta - - Kapha -)
- 1 small red onion finely chopped (Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -)
- Handful of dried cranberries chopped (Vata - Pitta + Kapha -)
- Handful of pumpkin seeds Vata 0 Pitta - Kapha -
- 2 Tbs. olive oil Vata - - Pitta + Kapha +
- Juice from 1 lemon Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -
- 1/2 tsp. sumac Vata + Pitta - Kapha - -
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the quinoa:
- Put 1 cup quinoa in a medium cooking pot. Turn on the flame and roast for 2 minutes with no water or oil.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Lower the flame, cover and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Let cool.
- Mix the quinoa with rest of the ingredients and season with olive oil, lemon juice, sumac, salt and pepper to taste.
Optional additions: For Pitta: omit the onion.