Root Vegetable & Grain Soup for Nourishment & Strengthening of the Lower Body
- 2 celery root Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 2 parsley root Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 4 carrots Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha - -
- 1 white onion Vata - - Pitta + Kapha -
- 1 turnip Vata + Pitta + Kapha - -
- 1 medium leek Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha -
- 1 daikon Vata + Pitta ++ Kapha - -
- 1 / 2.2 kg. / lbs. veal meat cut to medium cubes (optiona(Vata - - Pitta ++ Kapha ++)
- 5 Tbs. cold pressed sesame oil Vata - - Pitta ++ Kapha 0
- Himalayan salt Vata - - Pitta 0 Kapha +
- 2 5 cm long pieces Kombu seaweed, soaked in water for softening (Vata - Pitta 0 Kapha +)
- Cut all ingredients to medium-large cubes.
- In a thick bottomed cooking pot, fry the meat in sesame oil until the cubes are evenly seared.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the veal in two rounds and set the meat aside.
- In the same unwashed pot, put the vegetables and seaweed and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat, cover with water and cook for 3-4 hours.
- Serve in a deep serving bowl with a tsp. of barley miso (if the soup is without meat) and a generous handful of chopped greens.
Optional additions: It is possible to use other parts of animal protein. When using lamb leg, beef bones, fish heads and chicken or beef kidneys - add tomatoes. For Vata & Pitta: Cook the soup with 1/2 cup bulgur. For Pitta & Kapha: Cook the soup with 1/2 cup brown rice or barley groats. Put all the ingredients in the pot. Cover with water, bring to boil, cover and cook for 4 hours. This option skips frying the meat.