Spinach cools and soothes the body, and it is nourishing on behalf of its mineral content.
In small amounts, spinach is tolerated by all, and is useful medicinally in the treatment of lung and liver disorders. In large amounts it is aggravating to Vata.
It contains oxalic acid, a compound which binds with calcium, preventing its absorption, and is especially contraindicated for kidney stones. Cooking destroys the oxalic acid.
Taste: Bitter, Sweet
Natural Attributes: light, dry, mobile
Tissue impact (Vipak): pungent, reducing
Thermal impact (Virya): cooling
Dosha impact: Increases Vata, decreases Pitta and Kapha
Digestive impact (Agni): easy to digest (cooked)
Channels (Srotas): Opens
Strength (Bala): improves strength
Mind (Manas): Sattvic
Chinese five element impact: Wood, Metal
Chinese medicine syndromes: Nourish the Yin and move the Qi of the Large intestine
- Nourishment (rasa): diabetic dryness and thirst
- Blood-circulation-liver: stops bleeding, blood imbalances, nasal bleeding, blood in bowels, coagulation, liver disorders, moistening dryness, quenching thirst, night blindness
- Skin: clears heat and toxins in bloodstream that cause skin conditions, herpes
- Kidney-Bladder: urinary difficulty
- Respiratory system: dyspnoea, lung disorders
- Digestive system: conditions of excess, constipation,improves bowel movement
- Cleansing: relieving intoxication
Harmful: flatulence, kidney stones, diarrhea, premature ejaculation, urinary incontinence, involuntary semen emission.